United States Custom House – Charleston, South Carolina
Completed in 1879, construction of the U.S. Custom House in Charleston, S.C. actually began before the Civil War in 1853 but was postponed in 1859 as hostilities escalated. Construction resumed after the war in 1870. Total cost of construction was nearly $3 million. The site was formerly the location of Craven Bastion which was part of a colonial era walled fortification that surrounded Charleston from the 1680s to 1780s. The Custom House is on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places (1974).